Most parish churches today trace their inception back to a time when clergy and laypeople‚ working together‚ sought to further the work of Christ by establishing another center of Christian activity. St. Luke’s parish started in such a way when‚ in 1924‚ Reverend Edward T. Mabley‚ then Priest-in-Charge of St. John’s Wilmot‚ visualized the need for an Episcopal church in the area then known as Westchester Park. The foundation of this need was a small group of devout church people who gathered once a month in various homes for a service of worship. It was because of his untiring efforts and that devout group of lay persons (some of whose children and grandchildren are still with us today)‚ that St. Luke’s Church came into existence.
Agreeing that the name of the parish would be St. Luke’s Church‚ the next step was to raise funds for the construction of a church building. The Bishop of New York acknowledged the Church as a Mission of the Diocese and‚ on December 28‚ 1927‚ purchased property on the corner of Lincoln and Stewart Avenues at the junction of White Plains Road. The builders began their work and‚ on July 21‚ 1931‚ the construction of St. Luke’s Church was completed.
While the building is the same today as it was in 1931‚ many improvements and additions have been made to beautify the structure and to add space for the growing community. The houses and garage adjacent to the church were purchased and made into rental property (since sold) and the Rectory. The Parish Hall was added to the Church structure in the 1950’s in order to accommodate a nursery school and to provide a meeting place for the many “Fellowship” activities that have given St. Luke’s its special spirit. A Columbarium was constructed in a small garden in front of the Parish Hall in 1990. And‚ in 2001 handicapped accessibility was added to the structure with a three-stage external lift.
There have been fifteen Pastors since Reverend Mabley‚ each contributing their special knowledge and skills to its character. Traditions developed over the years have enrich our worship every season of the year. We are as proud of these traditions as were our forebearers of the beautiful church they constructed. They are our “claim to fame.”